Friday, May 16, 2008

profits at all costs


Go on and sell
formula powder to developing countries
give free samples
You make mothers
who naturally breastfed
believe formula is
superior to their milk
Who cares if a couple of
hundred, thousand or hundred thousand infants
die of dirty water
even though their mothers could have given them
the best and safest food on earth
Sleep tight through the night
profits under your pillow
skeletons of a hundred thousand children under your bed


Through the weekly Finnish blogging event Runotorstai (Poem Thursday) I learnt about Bloggers Unite - blogging for help and their event on May, 15th, to blog about Human Rights. I was inspired to roughly translate my original Runotorstai's poem in English. This is about children's right to breastmilk (bestmilk).

4 comments:

utukka said...

Your poem is very impressive both in Finnish and English. WE (the world) are drifting away from the natural life, which will be our end.

jl said...

Thank you, utuinen. I liked your poem, too.

I wasn't completely satisfied with either version of my poem, I think the words could have flown more smoothly... but maybe it suits the purpose not to be so smooth. :)

SusuPetal said...

I think I like this English version better, don't know why, just do. In English some words just flow differently, with ease.
Words like in these, your poem.

Anonymous said...

I did find this touching, even that figure which is shaped by the words of this poem, looks like a little helpless baby with a sunhat on...